Dough cooling in industrial bakeries
Ice water for dough preparation with BUCO Falling Film Water Chillers in industrial bakeries
The temperature of the water used to prepare the dough is set using city water. A certain amount of ice water of 0.5°C is added, so that target temperatures between 3°C and 8°C are set, depending on the requirements. As this process depends on the respective recipe, the temperature of the ingredients like flour etc. and the subsequent processing stages arise a certain complexity of tasks, which is usually solved by computer control. This guarantees the high quality of the baking process in this industry and provides a variety of automatic processes through the baking ovens. Our BUCO falling film chillers with high heat transfer coefficients (up to 2000 W/m² K) and ice water production of 0.5°C are ideal for mixing in the required 3°C to 8°C water temperatures. The large bakeries appreciate the easy cleaning possibilities due to smooth stainless steel surfaces as well as the cleaning during operation without loss of performance. Depending on the hygiene requirements, foodstuff versions can be offered on the unit as required. Our BUCO falling film chillers are made entirely of stainless steel.
Why a Water Chiller for dough cooling?
The technological processes in large-scale bakeries require a precise and quality of the products and economic aspects, the technological processes in large-scale temperatures during dough preparation. This in turn depends on the type of baked goods and the subsequent processing stages.
How Does a Water Chiller System Work?
The temperature of the water used to prepare the dough is set with city water to which a certain amount of ice water is mixed in, so that target temperatures can be set to between 3°C and 8°C, depending on the requirements. As this process depends on the respective recipe, on the temperature of the ingredients and the subsequent processing stages, there is a certain complexity of the task, which is usually solved by computer controlled systems. This in turn requires the lowest possible and constant temperatures of the ice water used in order to achieve a large and constant temperature of the ice water used, in order to have a large setting range with optimum water consumption.
What are Industrial Water Chillers?
Up to now, the ice water has been obtained by melting it from an ice bank system for hygienic reasons, but is not used directly as make-up water, but is instead fed into the system via a special buffer vessel and cools the make-up water. This is made available to the individual tapping points via a ring main, and the consumed water is fed in by city water. This method has the disadvantage that in 3-shift operation, ice storage hardly makes sense, as the time needed to charge the ice is too short. The ice water production therefore works as a direct cooler with a low specific heat transfer capacity. This means that the provision of cold in the form of ice is questionable from an energy point of view, because the production of ice in the ice banks systems of the connected refrigeration system has poor efficiency. Another energetic disadvantage is the additional heat exchange with the heat exchange with the make-up water in the above-mentioned buffer vessel.
Why to choose a falling film chillers as main option for water chillers?
All these points led a large bakery developing a new concept for ice water production and supply together with Heat Transfer Technology AG. The required ice water is produced by direct cooling with a falling film chiller. The the falling film chiller is coupled with a capacity-controlled refrigeration system. The use of a special split tank ensures that the production is supplied with 0.5°C ice water guaranteed. The individual tapping points in the production are supplied via an ice water ring line. The city water to be cooled is fed directly into the split tank. The design of the system is food-safe and all parts and components in contact with the water are made of stainless steel.
What Do You Look For in a Process Water Cooling Equipment Supplier?
The advantages for falling film water chillers of the chosen plant concept are as follows:
- Water cooling by industrial dough water chillers down to 0.5°C ice water temperature.
- Open system, cleaning possible of these dough water chillers at any time even during operation, thus optimal hygiene.
- Product particles in the warm return water do not lead to freezing. There are no inaccessible corners and angles that make cleaning difficult.
- Icing due to irregularities in the bakery compressor cannot cause mechanical deformation of these cooling water chillers
- Simple ice water system, no seals, no spare parts, i.e. no additional costs due to running times.
- Minimal cleaning effort due to self-cleaning effect of the plates in these dough cooling ice water chillers due to constantly falling water film
- Can be easily installed above any industrial dough cooling assembly line.
- All parts made of stainless steel. Complies with all industrial dough cooling hygiene standards worldwide.
- easy cleaning possibility
- cleaning possible during temperature cooling operation, i.e. no loss of performance
- very powerful heat transfer
- Food-grade bakery refrigeration design (completely made of stainless steel)
- No risk of freezing with ice water cooling used of 0.5 ° C
- Industrial water refrigeration chiller with low cost per kWh and optimal heat transfer in the bakery processing lines
- High efficiency, low pressure drop of this industrial bakery water chiller
- Easy access to the open system of the industrial water cooling heat exchanger
- Easy to clean this industrial water cooling heat exchanger
- Cleaning during operation possible with this industrial bakery water heat exchanger
- Low tendency to fouling cooling of this industrial refrigeration heat exchanger
- No seals in this industrial water cooling chiller
- No destruction of the apparatus in case of ice formation of this industrial water cooling heat exchanger
- Simplicity of control of this industrial cooling heat exchanger
- Enclosed design prevents product contamination of this industrial water cooling heat exchanger
- Special cooling heat exchanger versions as indsutrial ice water chillers possible
The installed systems work to the complete satisfaction of the operator. A further capacity expansion of 100% has already been carried out at another plant.
We have always assimilated engineering science and thermodynamics optimally in the various manufacturing processes.
Thermodynamicists,mechanical engineers and welding engineers define the dimensioning, design and construction of customised heat exchanger panels and systems in materials ranging from mild and austenitic steels through to titanium, and ensure successful distribution of their work worldwide.
In doing so they fall back on production engineering expertise and calculations developed in the course of the past hundred years that are still being continuously optimised in an ongoing process.
In the perception of our customers, the Buco product stands for:
Technical and process-oriented consulting
Quality and longevity